Here’s a list of the best saltwater game fish which might come in handy when you’re planning your next fishing destination.
The oceans of the world offer a huge variety of game fish. Sport fishing enthusiasts choose their top saltwater game fish based on factors like the value and taste of their meat, and the thrill and challenge of catching them. These fish are hard to catch; they will test your strength and endurance. They can be mean and will fight for their life, which make them the most prized and desired by those who are passionate about sports fishing. Catching these fish is a great achievement to the point that events are made around them, such as the Great Marlin Race.
It is important to remember that if you’re going to try and tag one of these fish, get your saltwater fishing gear from a reputable company like Eat My Tackle. You wouldn’t want these monsters to break your equipment while trying to catch them, right?
Now let’s take a look at the World’s Top 10 Saltwater Game Fish:
- Blue marlin. A long-time most wanted saltwater game fish for anglers, the marlin signifies the apex of an offshore catch. The marlin has a bill used to injure, stun, or kill preys and other predators. They are big, powerful, intelligent, and mighty fast. They can grow up to 5 meters and can weigh up to 600 kilos.
- Tarpon. Tarpons can be found in the Atlantic and the Indo-Pacific Oceans. They can be very challenging to catch because of their ability to jump out of the water.
- Sailfish. Similar to a marlin, the sailfish has an elongated bill. They do not grow more than 3 meters in length, but they are one of the fastest swimmers in the ocean.
- Yellowfin Tuna. They are one of the largest tunas in the world. The shape of their body enables them to gain speed when pursuing preys like mackerel, flying fish, and sauries. Many anglers agree that they are the fastest and strongest among the game tunas.
- Bluefin tuna. This monster fish can grow up to 3 meters and weigh up to 450 kilos. It has an unbelievable stamina that makes it one of the hardest fish to catch.
- Swordfish. The swordfish is a large, predatory fish, with a long and flat bill. This fast and elusive fish has an elongated and round body. The swordfish can injure its prey by slashing its sword.
- Roosterfish. The meat of the rooster fish is not good for eating. It is however, still one of the prized game fish because of its power and speed. It has a stubborn strength, and it can jump high if hooked.
- Giant trevally. This giant of a fish is powerful and mean. It is considered an apex predator due to its hunting strategies. The giant trevally can weigh up to 80 kilos.
- Greater amberjack. If you want a serious fight, find this amberjack. The greater amberjack is a powerful predator that feeds on invertebrates and other fish.
- Wahoo. The wahoo tastes like mackerel and its meat is highly regarded. Sports fishermen also like it for its incredible speed.