Fly fishing is a method, wherein for you to catch the fish, you need to use an artificial ‘fly’ or lure. You need to fly the cast with the use of a fly rod, a specific weight line, and a reel. A different casting technique is applied when you cast a really light fly. English author, Izaak Walton, called this the recreation of the contemplative man.
Although fly fishing can be performed in both saltwater and fresh water, the habitat of the fish will determine the technique you’ll have to apply. Regardless of where you are going to fly fish, you’ll need to have quality equipment so make sure to buy your fishing gear from a reputable company like Eat My Tackle.
Fish in saltwater are larger and more powerful than those in fresh water. It is therefore important to have a heavy tackle. Eat my Tackle offers saltwater reels that are perfect for catching large fish with a powerful drag. The kinds of fish you can catch using fly fishing are: salmon, redfish, bonefish, tuna, and dorado, among others. Now where can you sail your boat to find your catch?
These are the top 8 spots for fly fishing:
- Abacos Islands, Bahamas. You can find this group of islands in the northern part of the Bahamas. The world’s third largest barrier reef is here. The islands are popular with its white-sand beaches and cruise stops. Mangroves are also spread over the waters of the islands. This area is excellent for catching bonefish.
- Bristol Bay, Alaska. Bristol bay sits on the southwest part of Alaska, and faces the Bering Sea. Bristo Bay is known for its extreme high tides. It is also rich with fish species such as Pacific salmon, arctic grayling, and rainbow trout.
- Alphonse Island, The Seychelles. Just the name of this island in the Indian Ocean makes you want to relax. But wait ‘till you see its beauty firsthand. It is also the home of fish groups such as giant trevally, bonefish, permit, and milkfish.
- Upper Florida Keys, USA. The Keys is known for deep sea fishing, but here you can also find the perfect place for fly fishing. Have fun catching tarpon, permit, and bonefish.
- Ascension Bay, Mexico. This area south of Cancun is popular with travelers and fishing enthusiasts. In its flats and mangroves, you can find a selection of permit, tarpon, and snook.
- Exmouth, Australia. This is one of the best places in Australia for fly fishing. Its flats are wide, extensive, and laden with trevallies, bonefish, milkfish, permit, and giant parrotfish.
- Montauk, New York. This may sound unexpected, but not far from New York City, you could find an excellent fly fishing experience. Travel to Peconic Bay for bluefish and stripers.
- Turneffe, Belize. Belize is a country in the eastern part of Central America. The top three game fish caught in Terneffe are tarpon, permit, and bones.